Quick update-my grandfather is feeling better and appears to be fine. They never actually figured out what was "wrong," but it wasn't his heart and he's home feeling okay. And now to our regularly scheduled programming...
There is this saying that we all have heard at one time or another "the stuff you don't like about other people, is really stuff that you don't like about yourself." In some circles this is called "projection." Kinda-that's a bit more complicated. Anyway, back to this whole not liking qualities in yourself business...I know someone that I find to be selfish, narcissistic, attention-seeking and down right crazy. Does that mean that I am all of those things? I don't think i am, but I do try to be self-aware. I really let her bother me more than I should, though. It is at the point that I can't listen to anything she has to say and everything she says annoys or offends me in some way. If someone else said the same thing, I probably wouldn't get as upset-but if taken within the context of her as a whole-I can deal with other people's shit better.
But what about this notion of me being selfish, narcissistic, attention-seeking and crazy. I'm pretty sure I'm not crazy. I may be a tad of the others. Here's the thing, in the context of the work environment...I work really hard and I don't ask for much in return except for a "hey, you work really hard." When I don't get that, I do get a little pissy, because I feel like I am not valued, and FFS the work I do should be value above all else (helllooooo narcissism).
Okay, so I may have just answered my own question. BUT-When I think of the people that I want to put on the short bus to nowhere...I'm not mean, disrespectful of people's feelings, selfish in regard to only satisfying my immediate needs without taking into effect how my choices impact others, or a lying manipulative bitch...right?
It is only a matter of time
6 years ago

3 comments:
I think you need to consider yourself valuable and expect someone to say "good job". If we didn't expect that then how and why should we do a good job other than our own self-pride, the love of our self. If I did crap then I wouldn't care about myself or the people around me.
And yes you are right, you are not selfish, mean or disrespectful and not those other things. You do consider others and care. I've known you for a very long time and you are none of those things.
Also I'm glad your Grandfather is doing better, I'll keep him in my thoughts.
Post a Comment